Monday, June 12, 2006

Dorothy Sayers


The feminist of the day is Dorothy Sayers. She was an amazing author of both detective fiction and feminist theology.

http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bio/19.html

Almighty God, who gave to your servant Dorothy L Sayers special Gifts of grace to understand and teach the truth as it is in Christ Jesus: Grant that by this teaching we may know you, the one true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

I was introduced to Sayers at during my very conservative undergraduate education. She was a breath of fresh air in a very stuffy atmosphere. It was the first time I was able to see feminism and theology as two ideas that must go together. I realized that being a Christian did not exclude me from being a feminist.

2 comments:

OTRgirl said...

I love Dorothy Sayers. I've mostly read the Lord Peter/Harriet Vane books. I still don't know what Lord Peter said to her when he proposed at the end of Gaudy Night. And I took Latin in high school.

Sophia said...

My mentor at my internship LOVES her. There are a number of people in my internship congregation who are really into Tolkein and Lewis, and she always brings up Sayers.